The Radiation Safety Special Interest Group is a truly multidisciplinary group as radiologists, radiographers and scientists all have both an interest in patient protection and also a radiation protection self-interest!
We respond to policy and guidance consultations from governments and their agencies and communicate concerns about issues to those bodies from our members. We represent the BIR on various projects and committees where radiation protection is an issue (e.g. NRES, IEC, DH Working Group on EU Directive revision).
BIR Radiation Safety Week 25 February - 1 March 2019
Radiation Safety Advice Sheets
Here are some handy safety advice sheets to help teams with practical guidance on key areas within radiation safety. They will be issued each day during w/c Monday 25 February and will be available to download here. These have been developed by members of the Radiation Safety SIG, including physicists, radiologists, radiographers and corporate partners.
Day 1: Radiation risks Day 2: PPE Day 3: Keeping DOSE ALARP
Day 4: Ionising Equipment Day 5: Non-Medical Referrers
Latest SIG News
Update from December 2018 meeting
The group had a productive meeting by teleconference on 6 December. The main topics for discussion are highlighted below:
- Membership of the BIR is at its highest level on record at over 3000
- Awards & Prizes: BIR/IEL Make it Better award – closing date 28 February and BIR/GE Radiation Safety Travel award – closing date 31 March
- SIG’s position paper on Training and governance requirements for Non-Medical Referrers was published: https://www.bir.org.uk/media-centre/position-statements-and-responses/guidance-for-non-medical-referrers-to-radiology/
- Guidance on applying shielding to patients (on schedule to be finalised by end of 2019)
- Practical guide to diagnostic radiological equipment installation and replacement
- Events – the IRMER ukpdate 2019 (Optimisation in Clinical Imaging) 27 September 2019
- The SIG is working on producing two guidance publications:
- Online education – the SIG is helping the BIR to develop a course on radiation safety for vascular surgeons – this should be ready to launch in September.
- The SIG plan to produce radiation safety “quick reference sheets” to be issued on each day of the European Congress of Radiology in Spring 2019.
Position paper on Training and governance requirements for Non-Medical Referrers January 2019
BIR position statement on the selection and purchase of lead aprons October 2017
Management group members
Some of the RP SIG Management Group - from left to right Peter Hiles (Chair), Mark Bowers, Lucy Hossen, Liz Benson and Katharine Thomson