The Radiation Safety Special Interest Group is a truly multidisciplinary group as radiologists, radiographers and scientists all have both an interest in patient protection and also a radiation protection self-interest!
UPDATE - COVID-19
We regret that due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation all educational events organised by our SIGs that were due to take place between 16 March and 10 September 2020 will be postponed until autumn 2020. Revised dates will be made available shortly. Check the Education and events page for further updates.
Management group members
We respond to policy and guidance consultations from governments and their agencies and communicate concerns about issues to those bodies from our members. We represent the BIR on various projects and committees where radiation protection is an issue (e.g. NRES, IEC, DH Working Group on EU Directive revision).
Free on-demand webinar on Guidance on using shielding on patients for diagnostic applications
This was recorded on 28 April 2020
Helen Hughes, The Head of Quality & Governance for Radiology, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Radiation Safety Advice Sheets
Download five safety advice sheets produced by this SIG on radiation risks, PPE, keeping dose ALARP, Ionising radiation equipment and non-medical referrers.
The Diagnostic Radiological Equipment Installation and Replacement Guide is a special check list, invaluable for anyone installing new radiological equipment and has been developed and designed by the BIR Radiation Safety Special Interest Group. Download here or access via the BIR Sharing Platform.
BIR Safety Campaign
The BIR Safety Campaign communicates safety advice and recommendations and helps to spread the word about safety issues within our community to ensure the safety and wellbeing of patients and staff.
Latest SIG News - February 2020
- Peter Hiles led a working party (BIR, IPEM, SCoR, PHE, RCR and SRP to draw up guidance on the use of contacting shielding for patients. READ THE GUIDANCE HERE
- The SIGS’s annual IRMER event is taking place on 25 September 2020.
- Don’t forget to catch the webinar ‘Guidance on using shielding on patients for diagnostic radiology applications’ recorded by Helen Hughes.
- The BIR Annual Congress is taking place on 5/6 November 2020 in London. Of particular interest to this SIG will be the stream on Day 2 on Patient Protection: New Techniques, technologies and standards, led by Andy Rogers.
- Online video project– this exciting new training platform will include slides, images, illustrations, animations and interviews. The first module will cover Radiation Safety and will launch very soon so watch this space for more information. Work has already started on the next three courses on Dose, CT Essentials and MR Essentials.
- Vascular surgeon’s project– this online course on radiation protection with eLearning for Health launched towards the end of 2019. This resource is free to all NHS employees and is available on their website.
- The Sharing Platform had launched towards the end of 2019 and was proving to be very popular with members. Over 220 resources are now available, including guidance documents, case studies, job descriptions and posters.
- The BIR has produced an excellent collaborative publication with the Chinese Society of Radiology on AI – this has now been published: BIR/CSR Special Publication.