The Nic McNally prize for Cancer Research was established from monies raised by the friends, colleagues and BIR staff in memory of Dr Nic McNally, who was a long-serving Honorary Editor of BJR and President–elect of the BIR before his untimely death in 1991. The Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust has made a generous donation to the prize fund, which will ensure the continuation of the award for many years to come.
The prize is in the form of a travel bursary to a conference and is awarded to an early career radiobiology researcher who may be scientifically or medically qualified but who is not currently in a clinical post. The winner is asked to submit a report on the conference visited for publication in suitable BIR media (enewsletter or blog).
DOWNLOAD FLYER HERE
Winner of the 2017 Prize
The prize for 2017 was awarded to Dr Lingjian Yang, a post-doctoral research associate, for his work entitled "Development and validation of a 28-gene hypoxia signature for localised prostate cancer." The £750 prize helped Lingjian to attend the NCRI conference in November 2017.
You can now apply for the 2018 prize:
- The award is for £750 and is open to BIR members and non-members.
- Eligible individuals are those who have had a poster or talk accepted for presentation at a forthcoming national or international conference. The poster/talk must relate to original research in radiobiology or related subjects. The prize winner will be the individual judged to have submitted the best poster/talk abstract.
- The award will be made at an appropriate event, either organised or badged by the BIR.
Applicants must submit:
- An abstract submission form for the relevant conference in which they are participating
- Formal acceptance of the abstract confirming that it is included as part of the conference programme
- Closing date 31 December 2018
- Applications will be judged by the Awards and Prizes Committee, with advice from the BIR Oncology and Radiotherapy SIG, if required
- Council will be informed of the decision by the Awards and Prizes Committee.