Here's how you can get involved with our Special Interest Groups:
Sign up to express your interest in a SIG
You will receive regular updates from the SIG. Your new ideas for educational events and online learning activities will be welcomed and you will also be able to introduce and/or lead topics for discussion on the members only forum page. For more information about submitting topics, visit educational event proposals.
Apply to be on a SIG Management Group
By joining the management group you will need to be able to attend two or three meetings per year (at least one of which would be in person) The term of office is typically three years. See below for more about what is involved.
SIG Management Group members – what’s involved
- You will have expertise, creativity and a desire to make a difference in the world of radiology, radiography and radiotherapy.
- You will influence national and international policy by contributing to the BIR comments and advice on regulatory and research developments relating to your related topic of expertise.
- You will use your expertise, professional knowledge and organisational ability to develop scientific and educational meetings across the UK and contribute to reports and publications for the Institute.
- You will get involved in developing innovative educational events. New ideas for scientific meetings, educational courses and online learning activities will be welcomed, You will also be able to introduce and/or lead topics for discussion on the forum page.
- By joining the management group you will need to be able to attend two or three meetings per year (at least one of which would be in person) The term of office is typically three years.
- SIG Management members must also be prepared to attend some events and devote time to preparing for meetings and respond to urgent requests for feedback when required.
Who should apply?
All professional groups (including radiologists, physicists, trainees, radiographers, managers, radiology nurses, clinical oncologists, dosimetrists and individuals from industry and government personnel with appropriate interests) are welcome to apply.
We welcome applicants in the early stages of their career as well as those with more experience, highly valuing commitment, drive and your willingness to volunteer time to both support the development of peers and influence policy at a senior level.
BIR members and non-members are invited to apply, although non-members will be required to subscribe as a full member before being able to participate.
What’s in it for you?
• The satisfaction of “giving back” your knowledge and expertise to support others
• The chance to network with colleagues and share good practice
• The opportunity to influence policy and have a voice in your area of interest
• The chance to gain experience in conference organising and event management
• To demonstrate to your employers that you are prepared to “go the extra mile” to contribute to both your professional development and raising the profile of your organisation.
How to apply
To express interest in a SIG or apply to become part of the management group, simply complete this online form. You will then shortly receive an email of confirmation. Please continue to keep in touch by visiting the Members Forum and your relevant SIG page.
If you have expressed interest in join a management group, the SIG Chair will contact you shortly.
You may also use this form to express your interest in a particular SIG.
For more information, please contact Lucy Stewart email email@example.com