We are delighted to introduce our brand new Leadership and Management Special Interest Group . Chaired by Dr Elizabeth Loney this SIG will develop and deliver educational events and materials aimed at those professionals in the multidisciplinary team who are working or looking towards management and leadership roles.
Read an interview with Elizabeth Loney here
UPDATE - COVID-19
We regret that due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation all educational events organised by our SIGs that were due to take place between 16 March and 10 September 2020 will be postponed until autumn 2020. Revised dates will be made available shortly. Check the Education and events page for further updates.
Healthcare Executives – the essentials for excellence in leadership and management -
Professor Dirk Pickuth is an international BIR member who sits on the Management Group of the Leadership & Management SIG. He has written this book on healthcare leadership and managment. The foreword is written by Professor Dame Janet Husband DBE, President of the British Institute of Radiology from 2003 to 2004 and President of the Royal College of Radiologists from 2004 to 2007.
This book provides a unique first-hand perspective on healthcare leadership and management, from a practitioner, for practitioners.
Packed with expert insights and practical tips for problem solving and trouble shooting, this is the ultimate guide to getting ahead and achieving more as a leader and manager in the healthcare world. The book is an excellent resource for aspiring as well as current leaders and managers in healthcare.
Click here to read the reviews and find links to purchase the book.
All royalties from the book will be donated to the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity.
February 2020 Update
- The SIG’s first Leadership event took place at the end of January. The event had some really excellent speakers and received very good feedback. The SIG also organised a leadership stream at the 2019 Annual Congress in November 2019 and this had been very well received.
- BIR’s Annual Congress 2020
The congress is taking place on 5/6 November 2020 in London and once again there will be three streams over the two days:
- Day 1 – Musculoskeletal; AI and Workforce; Leadership and Burnout
- Day 2 – Acute Imaging; Oncology and advances in proton therapy; the future of imaging.
- The Sharing Platform launched towards the end of 2019 and was proving to be very popular with members. Over 220 resources are now available, several were provided by this SIG’s Chair, Elizabeth Loney.
- This year BJR celebrates 125 years of publishing. This is being celebrated by commissioning a lot of special articles, stating with a paper on AI. The March issue is dedicated to Proton Therapy.
- The BIR has produced an excellent collaborative publication with the Chinese Society of Radiology on AI – this has now been published: BIR/CSR Special Publication.
- The BIR Radiation Safety SIG, led a working party made up of BIR, RCR, SCoR, IPEM PHE and SRP and they have published a guidance on using shielding on patients.